There is a lot of discussion lately about the microbiome and how it might play a major role in the development of Crohn’s/Colitis. Doctors have always thought that Crohn’s developed first and this caused an imbalance in the microbiome. I personally believe that it is the other way around. I believe that the microbiome is disturbed by many factors and sets into motion Crohn’s/Colitis and other Autoimmune.
Here is the theory for the sequence:
- Processed foods/drinks begin to disturb gut flora and cause stomach acid to decrease.
- The decrease in stomach acid allows harmful bacteria in your food to live past the stomach.
- Undigested food and bacteria move into the small intestine and create havoc.
- The individual develops Small Intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth in the small intestine.
- The immune system launches an attack on this overgrowth creating inflammation.
- As the cycle continues a severe imbalance occurs and Crohn’s/Colitis sets in.
The Low Stomach Acid Theory:
I realized that I had low stomach acid when I put the puzzle pieces together through experimentation. I also plan to have a test done by my nutritionist. By having low stomach acid, you do not digest and break down food properly. You also do not kill unwanted organisms in the food before they enter your small intestine. The undigested food enters the small intestine and could irritate due to being in the wrong form. When your food is fully broken down by your stomach acid and cleared of all harmful bacteria, your body can begin to digest the nutrients better. Your immune system does not go on a rampaging attack! You can try some of the stomach acid tests by clicking the link below.
So what can you do if you have low stomach acid??
There are many natural methods to increasing stomach acid. I have been doing the apple cider vinegar supplement before meals. I take about 1 inch of water and place a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in it. The next thing that I am going to replace this with is taking an HCL supplement with meals to increase acid levels. This is the supplement that I ordered through my doctor: http://www.amazon.com/Metagenics-Metagest-90-Capsules/dp/B004N2I9DG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419200534&sr=8-1&keywords=metagenics+HCL+supplement
Low Stomach Acid Test:
This post is based on theory, but sometimes it is the theories that help to solve problems. We all need to think of this ailment in a new way and I believe this is a good start.