Before I began juicing back in January, I was taking my medicine, watching my diet carefully and taking probiotics as my doctor had told me to do. I would have a few good days in a row followed by a surprise symptom day with crazy stomach sounds, 3+ times a day to the bathroom and cramping. I hated those days where I was doing everything I was supposed to be doing, but still had problems that I could not explain. I know it is gross to look in the toilet after going to the restroom, but with Crohn’s you have to check to see how things are going. There would be bleeding on various days, shedding of the lining of the gi tract/mucus that are all part of the active disease.
How do I know juicing is working? After drinking about 16+oz per day for almost 3 full months now, I am noticing major changes! First I decided to go off all meds slowly to see how it was all working. I noticed the following decrease/elimination of symptoms:
- Greatly reduced stomach/gas sounds with no surprise symptom days.
- No bleeding or intestinal mucus in the toilet at all!! This is a big one!! Mucus signals inflammation/Active Crohn’s
- No pain or cramping – the feeling of a very balanced and relaxed environment in there.
- My physical color looks very healthy and not gray or sickly looking.
- I can add foods to my diet that I would never have tried before due to fear of a major flare up.
I am so tempted to return my medicine (pentasa) (asacol) to the pharmacy, but I keep it as a warning to myself. If I go back to processed foods and stop thinking about what I put into my body, do I want to take all of this again? These will continue to collect dust as they sit next to the actual band-aids on the medicine cabinet shelf. I will continue to flood my body with nutrients, probiotics, prebiotics and pure life from the juices I create.
If I had listened to my doctor and had not taken my health into my own hands, I would never have gotten off of that trip to drugs and surgery.