Those of us with Crohn’s/Colitis/IBS are familiar with the medical anti-inflammatory drugs that we take: Pentasa, Asacol HD and various Steroids. These drugs are what I like to call “band-aid drugs”. They cover over the inflamed area like a soothing layer and decrease inflammation. They work for a while, but never really treat the actual cause of the inflammation. Then there are drugs that regulate your immune system and are in my opinion, dangerous with side-effects. When all else fails there is surgery!!!
“Surgery is not an option for me and it won’t be” This is what I said to myself right before I did a 20+ day juicing challenge for allaboutjuicing.com.
Foods that are anti-inflammatory for Crohn’s and Colitis to include in your juice:
- Ginger Root – I put this in every juice I have ever made since day one without fail. This is a powerhouse for inflammation in the body and Gi tract. It contains numerous anti-oxidants and decreases swelling anywhere in the body. Only start off with a small amount, a 1/2 inch to an inch when mixing into your juice.
- Garlic – Garlic is an amazing food and I personally like it better in food than in a juice. In addition to its anti-inflammatory properties, it is anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic, and anti-fungal. (Used garlic/olive oil for an ear infection – gone in 2 days!)
- Turmeric – This one is right up there with ginger, but I have found it hard to find in my area. Turmeric is great for auto-immune disorders as well.
- Parsley, cilantro and Kale – These leafy greens contain great anti-inflammatory properties and helps to detox your system as well. They contain phytonutrients and flavonoids which help to decrease inflammation.
- Cabbage – This food is cleansing and detoxifying. It also works to repair the lining and heal ulcers from Crohn’s or Colitis.
- Green Tea – Drink this instead of coffee. Coffee is acidic and is just making your problem worse!! Green tea is great for starting your day and has anti-inflammatory properties.
*There are many more that help rid your body of Crohns and Colitis symptoms. Just think of it though, combining many different veggies and herbs that detoxify, cleanse and decrease inflammation each day. Those band-aid drugs just might collect some dust in the medicine cabinet!*